Monday, October 6, 2008

A funny thing happened on the way to my blog post...

So, apologies from the bad blogger. My personal life has been a bit of a headache lately, and as such my reflections on Chile have been on hold while I try to get things sorted. As this is not a personal life blog, most of what I've been dwelling on of late has not been suitable material.

I'll be back on this week, so check back in today or tomorrow for a real, honest, post about Chile.

In the meantime, please take the time to check out this post on Kyle's blog. She has committed to paying a young man's tuition to DuocUC, a technical university. This is of particular relevance to me because I am, at the moment, a volunteer teacher at that same institution (in another location, of course). It is an extremely respected institution for the level of training it provides (something akin to a technical associate's degree in the US). It is also, however, expensive. This has been one of the major quandaries for me over the course of this year. My students are wonderful people who are given a great opportunity to better their circumstances--but for a price. It is difficult for me to resolve the contradiction inherent in being a volunteer at an institution which is only available to people who can afford the high tuition.

As such, I'm happy to pass on the information that Kyle, who is a photographer, is giving all proceeds from her print sales this month to her friend's tuition. You can read the details of this on her site. She is a skilled photographer. If any of you would like a nice picture of the country at the end of the world, now's your chance to buy one and simultaneously contribute to someone's well-being.

1 comment:

Mamacita Chilena said...

Thank you Meredith!!! I really, really appreciate the help in spreading the word. :)

I think you should definitely blog about personal stuff. You know, not because I'm nosy or anything, but ummm, because I'm totally nosy and I'm dying to know what's going on! Don't leave us hanging!