Monday, May 19, 2008

My Weekend and Monday of Spanish, or, Why Shy People Make Rotten Language Learners

I have taken to accepting any invitation proferred by spanish speakers (given a minimum level of non-creepiness, that is). And so it is that I have discovered a rather awkward irony. The people who are the most attentive and the most conscientious, vis a vis including me, are far more exhausting than those that are less so.

Picture, if you will, four people at a table, all of whom are fluent in spanish except our hapless blogger. She is seated opposite a very pleasant colleague who is making every effort to have a conversation with her. He speaks, and then he checks for comprehension, of which there is often not much to be found. He tries to find a way around the barrier, cannot, laughs. Occasionally he asks for a translation from other corners of the table. She stirs her coffee. She memorizes her placemat. No, she doesn't understand. She feels like she is shrinking under the well-intentioned glare of attention, incapable of offering a coherent thought, incapable of responding correctly. He hesitates, searches for a topic that might be accessible. She feels guilty, wishes he would join the conversation with his friends, so that he would enjoy himself. So that she can go back to being ears with feet. Instead she stumbles through garbled responses and tries to appreciate the corrections she is offered. The light in the cafe seems brighter than normal. Her cheeks burn, she is embarassed by her helplessness and lack of personality, and then she is embarassed by her embarassment.

The thing is, you see, that I am very accustomed now to living behind this little wall of mine. It's not preferable, of course, but it no longer really bothers me in an immediate sense. I no longer feel strange sitting, uncomprehendingly, at a table of people who are conversing amongst themselves as if I were not present. I learn quite a bit that way. The family that I live with has come to know me rather well. They speak to me directly, but when I start grimacing and trying to hide my face in my soup, they know it's time to let me be quiet. New people, understandably, are not quite as accustomed. How odd would you feel having some random person trying to read your lips while you speak to someone else?

It is an interesting problem. It is probably one of the more valuable aspects of this experience, or rather will be once I've done with it. I love words. Ridiculously. My sense of humor is largely based on misusing words; I mean, really! I am articulate. I might be spacy, and awkward, and all sorts of other things, but at least that is a constant that I can fall back on. And so oddly enough this pushes me into situations (ie, say, Chile) where I find myself without the one thing that I consistently rely on to be my strength in all kinds of situations.

Well, and so, it's obviously no tragedy, I do it anyway. I go out and humiliate myself, and frankly no one really cares. It's completely internal (until I write about it online, that is, speaking of ironies). It is an incredibly strong feeling, though, physical even. I feel, at those times, as if I am far back in my eyes, disconnected from the nervous hands and the head that keeps lowering no matter how many times I remind myself to keep it up. As if I've gone from automatic to standard, I suppose. Lift head. Make eye contact. Stop staring at people's mouths. They've stopped talking, they're looking, speak.

Ah my. And so it goes, my very strange and silly silent life....when I am on my own, I am frusturated at not being able to practice my spanish. When I get the chance, I start wondering if I can climb out the bathroom window.

12 comments:

Leumas said...

Hi Meredith, i'm Samuel (Samy, for friends like you) and i'm reading your blog.
You are not alone!!, there's a lot of friends waiting for you here in Chile, you only have reason in one thing: your are "shy" (i hope that the meaning of shy won't be offensive, jajaja).
Let me explain you one thing:
You speak Spanish much well than i speak English, you only have to try, besides, spanish is not an easy language and we understood almost all your words, take your time.

Ahh, and you were present!!, it's only that with gorgeous girls i can't concentrate (i hope that gorgeus means something more than beautiful, like "preciosa" in spanish), :-D
So, you only have to try and never, ¡NEVER!, feel bad because you don't know a word, you just must continue speaking, remember that: In spanish language you can speak and skip one or more verbs, we can understand almost all, and if not, the context of the sentence is useful, and help us to understand.
Remember, spanish is a very rich, but a complex language, you only have to TRY.

Greetings, Samuel P.

PD: You must play "Word challenge", but in spanish, i dare you...!!

Douchebaguette said...

Sometimes it's hard to manage to form a sentence and you'd just rather not do so at all. So you don't. My fiance is fluent and I still get shy and revert to English so that he won't give me that expecant look, waiting for me to say the wrong thing. I don't have any idea why I think it will be any easier in Chile. It's probably wishful thinking...

Meredith said...

Yes....well and my goodness I do try! You just simply can't be functioning all of the time. Some days are just listening days. Or...listening weeks...

Mike said...

"My Weekend and Monday of Spanish, or, Why Shy People Make Rotten Language Learners"

I loved it...I know exactly how you feel...I'm very interested to know if your doing total a immersion class and living with a Chilean Family...
I'm planning on coming to Chile sometime in Sept and I'm wanting to find a Spanish Language School with a home stay...to work on my Spanish. Would you have any suggestions? Gracias Michael

Mike said...

Oh I'm thinking somewhere in Valpo or Vina del Mar. I'll fly into Santiago and make my way west...Thanks again Michael

Meredith said...

Hi Miguel/Michael,

I'm here teaching English and trying to learn Spanish on my own (super easy, of course). So I don't know much about Spanish language schools. I have seen advertisements for private lessons, though, so depending on what you are doing here that is an option. As for host families, I ended up with mine through the organization that placed me at my teaching site. However, I think it's relatively easy to find "pension" set ups which is what mine is. Essentially you rent a room and they feed you your meals as well. I know of a few people who have found situations like this through normal apartment hunting. Sorry I don't have much more information; if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Mike said...

Hola Meredith

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate what you’ve shared, its very helpful. Something I definitely did not know. Doing a little research I did find a Spanish School in Valparaíso , its located in Cerro Concepción, “ in the middle of the lively neighborhood of artists and students in the city”, so say they. Would you happen to know anything about the area its located in? Like is it safe to be out at night etc in this neighborhood? Not that I’m planning on roaming the streets at night. Just good to know.

The “pension set up” that you mentioned sounds perfect. That would give me sometime to practice spanish...well at least listen. Having meals prepared would be great.

Below is the school outline. Not knowing costs there I’m wondering if I’d be better off finding my own lodging with meals. Hope I’m not putting you out...would just appreciate an honest opinion. Thank you again Michael or Miguel...Que usted quiere llamarme.

Combination course:
1. Standard: 60 units in total
2. Duration 3 weeks
3. Start: every Monday

Course
Units 60
Spanish course 717 USD
Lodging / without food 270 USD
Lodging with
half board* 420 USD

* Breakfast and 1 warm meal daily, usually dinner.

The course prices are in chilean pesos. Dollar rates are for reference only.
All prices are for single rooms. / Couples traveling together please ask for double room rates.
Lodging is in simply furnished rooms in private homes or student residences. For higher standards (e.g. internet access, private bath) there is a surcharge of 10 USD per week.

Mike said...

Oh...I know just enough Spanish to make myself look very foolish...I've been studying on and off for 25 years...and haven't done a lot with it. I can speak a little in the present tense. Michael

Meredith said...

Hi Miguel,

I really am not very clear on pricing standards around here, in terms of what amount ought to correspond to what quality.

I would recommend asking Matt (www.corrugatedcity.blogspot.com) because he has been here for much longer than I and seems to know the answer to just about anything.

Meredith

Mike said...

Hi Meredith,

Thanks for your response, honesty and suggestion. Buen Idea...
Hasta Luego Miguel

Meredith said...

Oh, PS, Miguel:

Cerro Concepcion is just adjacent (kind of melded with, actually) the cerro that I live on, Cerro Alegre. They're both very safe and lovely....it's kind of the tourist area of the city but not in a bad way. Lots of nice little shops and cafes and things, and I have had no troubles walking around at night.

Meredith

Mike said...

Hole Meredith,

Otro vez...gracias por todo su ayuda. Miguel...