Thursday, August 21, 2008

Chilean men--or lack thereof

This post is part of a multi-blog blog (like that? an English teacher using a made-up word as both a noun and a verb in one sentence?). Essentially there are masses of us gringos blogging away here in Chile (there it is again). Why? Inexplicable. Maybe it's because you can't throw a stone here (if you were inclined to) without hitting one of Pablo Neruda's houses. Or maybe we're all just exhibitionists. Can't really say. I for one was entirely against the concept when I moved here (see post numero uno for proof). I like to write, though, and as I seemed unable to put pen to paper without going on for pages about emotional ups and downs, I figured measures needed to be taken to ensure that I would have some writing of value to represent my Chilean Years (as the book of my life will label them).

That's fab, Meredith, you may be thinking, but what's this multi-blog business? Or, you may be thinking, are you capable of writing a sentence without a parentheses in it?

To the point. A woman who writes a really interesting blog in Santiago has organized a project of having various Chile bloggers writing on the same subject all at once, then inter-linking the results. I think this could yield some really interesting results, so I'm jumping in and hoping to see more of this in the future. You can check out the other posts through her blog.

The topic for this particular post was set as "Chilean men." I sat down to think about what I had to add to this discussion, at first I thought, "not much."

I slowly realized though that that, in and of itself, is a bit of an oddity.

I came to Chile alone. I've been here for over six months and I am single. None of this is particularly shocking to me, other than the fact that I've managed to avoid starting a pointless relationship simply out of boredom (a vice of mine). Everyone else in the country, though, seems to be completely blindsided by my manless-ness.

It is apparently very difficult to stay single in this country. Walk into any park and you are in danger of tripping over a tangled couple. When my students talk about themselves, if there is a girlfriend or a boyfriend in the picture, you know about it by sentence number two, because every free time activity involves him or her. (sample conversation: Me: "What did you do last weekend?" Student: "I went to visit my boyfriend. I watched a movie with my boyfriend. I went walking with my boyfriend....") People's significant others call them and ask simply, "Where are you?" This is not a simple request for information...this is shorthand for "disclose your location, because I'm coming, and I don't intend to ask what you think about that because we are dating and therefore you want me present at every moment." Basically, codependency, like awkward, is not a word that would make sense here. It would translate roughly as "in a relationship."

In a climate like this, it makes sense that everyone who is not in a relationship tends to be actively seeking one with the intentness of a job hunter. I once had someone explain to me that he had recently ended a two year relationship, but he was ready to get back on the market because it had been over two weeks since the big break up. Plenty of alone time to think things over.

So when I say that I'm not really looking because I "recently ended a relationship," and then am pushed into disclosing that "recently" means six or seven months ago, people just think I'm out of my mind.

I should mention that one of the myriad of benefits of living in a machisto culture is that everyone I meet, particularly men, asks about my relationship status on first encounter. Even if I work with them. Even if I work for them, for that matter, or if I am their teacher. So this topic comes up pretty frequently.

Explaining that I am a disaster in the Spanish language (see: title bar of this blog) doesn't help me out much either. In the roughly translated words of one well-meaning interrogator (with whom I have a professional relationship which would have precluded this conversation in other countries): "What are you talking about?! You're very pretty! You don't need to be able to speak well!"

I actually prefer to be able to communicate with romantic partners, thanks. I'll leave my response at that because I'm sure you can imagine what the rest of it would be.

I had one private lesson that pretty much consisted of me spending 90 minutes, three times a week, explaining all of the ins and outs of my relationship status. No joke. I'd tell him to practice asking questions in the simple past, and the first one he'd come up with would be, "Why did you break up with your ex-boyfriend?"

The unintelligible quality of my single status comes from two main angles, as I see it. First, I'm 25, which means I should be husband-hunting based on common logic. A friend told me that she was recently reading a women's magazine which had conducted a survey in which Chilean women were asked what they were most afraid of. One of the top ten was not getting married. So when people hear that I'm not dating anyone, they go into a bit of empathetic panic. Some people I've talked to seem to equate my current state of mind as the equivalent of a near-suicidal giving-up on life.

Secondly, I'm a gringa. Living in Chile. But not because I am dating or married to a Chilean man. I've touched on this before: this is totally incomprehensible to 99% of people that I meet. To be fair, I myself know very few foreign women who are living in Chile for reasons other than a Chilean partner. Many came for other reasons, but stayed for a relationship. So the fact that I don't have a departure date OR a boyfriend is just an unreal combination.

Well, Chile, get used to it. I spent a whole bunch of years being completely undiscerning in my choice of men. The old criteria was pretty much: you're here, you like me, let's date. In short, when I was living in the United States, I dated like a Chilean. Now that I'm in Chile, I am planning to be picky and date like a gringa.

17 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

This post was HILARIOUS. And also, it's so dead on. Co-dependency and awkward are definitely words that needed to be added to the Chilean vocabulary mix.

Matt said...

Meredith, I swear to god we're going to find you a man. Stop fighting it. Give in to the need to have a boyfriend.

Or at least learn to lie:

"Si, tengo novio. Si es chileno. Si estoy muuuuuuuuuuy feliz. No, el no esta esta noche. Y no, no quiero acostarme contigo. Andate a la misma mierda huevo culiado. Gracias."

And you'll never be asked again.

Matt said...

lacking an 'n' on the end of 'huevon' there.

Meredith said...

mc--Thanks! It was so interesting to read everyone's posts.

Matt--It is predictable that you would respond that way (in fact I almost put you in my post)....because at this point you are a very pale Chilean who speaks excellent English.

Matt said...

jaja.

I knew you'd be expecting that comment from me so I didn't want to disappoint. still...you know i'm right :)

I would have liked to fight your 'very pale' jibe, but after 3 weeks of English summer, I'm whiter than Allie.

Rook said...

really good post...definitely highlights some of the differences that Americans will have in relationships with Chileans...i often laugh at how "alone time" has a completely different definition here in Chile

Tyffanie said...

First of all--Matt´s first comment is hilarious! Just wanted to point that out.

Secondly, at first (and still sometimes) the elevator thing drove me nuts just because it is inefficient. I mean, sometimes I don´t even realize they are waiting for me to leave the elevator because I am waiting for someone else to leave it. Hhahaha...But then when I started thinking about it, I thought it was sweet. However, it is onetheless inefficient.

And props to you for a great post! Although it is rare to find a gringa here without a Chilean counterpart as the main reason, I think it is AWESOME.

Ritamae said...

Meredith,

I so enjoyed your post! When I was 16 and an exchange student in Colombia one of the first things a new acquaintance would ask me would be "Do you have a boyfriend?" And when I would answer "no" they would always ask "why not?" I was always so baffled by that question. Umm, because I'm flat. Umm, because I'm not pretty enough. Umm, because no one has expressed an interest in me? Umm, heck if I know. It happened over and over again and I still haven't figured out how I should have answered that.

Well, I eventually did have a boy express some interest in me. His name was Fernando so that made answering that question much easier.

Many years later in life, after being divorced, many well meaning people, when they found out I wasn't dating anyone would offer up the "Matt spiel." They were insistent that I needed a man and intent on helping me find one. Nevermind that life was much simpler being the single head of the household. I didn't have to consult anyone when making decisions and I love making them. I only had myself (and my kids) to answer too. I was enjoying living to the max. But people had a hard time accepting that and many times made me feel like "oh, you're just saying that because you DON'T have a man" or "you THINK you are happy, but you'll be happier when you DO have man." It was like people thought there was something wrong with you or that you weren't a whole person or something if there wasn't a man in your life. Maybe that happens to single men too, I don't know but it really bothered me. I got so tired of dealing with it.

Well, eventually, 8.5 years later I got remarried. And guess what? I still feel just as whole now a I did being single!

Meredith said...

matt- don't worry, you'll be back under the ozone hole in a few hours.

rook- thanks! good to hear from you!

tyffanie- "inefficient" is the perfect word for the elevator thing! i kind of get sick of having to push through a crowd of 5 people who refuse to move until i do. but who knows, maybe i'll come around too. :)

ritamae- thanks so much for your story! i'm pretty sure single men don't get the same reactions in the US, but i don't know about here...because in one-two weeks of singledom i don't think you have to answer that question too many times :) (haha).

Real Chile said...

Just to contribute, there is a phrase to describe the process of calling up a significant other to see where they are and what they are doing. It is "marcar tarjeta" literally "punching in" (as in punching in to work). Lets just say there is a reason why this phrase exists.

Anonymous said...

** IMPORTANT FEEDBACK ** Being an Australian Chilean (a chilean born in chile who grew up in Australia) I feel there is a lot of misconceptions out there..
Firstly, chilean really don't want to spend their lives with a "gringa" they just want to have a sexual relationship with her (from experience). Chilean men don't really have a liking of their ways just their different looks (try a blonde).

I have a friend from chile who just arrived in australia about a year ago. He is happy with his chilean-australian girlfriend but wants to try a "gringa" in the same way someone wants to drive a different model car.

We chilean men can never really be happy with a "gringa" because they are generally as dry and critically indifferent as their male counterparts. "gringa" women are generally better at grabbing our attention (being blonde helps) but don't understand us in the long term. They don't offer any warmth or flavour to the relationship as they don't have any within them. White women are as cool to "hang out with" as a dry leaf branch in death valley.

You are some disillusioned ladies out there..

Anonymous said...

Your post does nothing to help give any thought or weight to the argument, and you sound like a typical australian man, not a chilean.
i think alot of countries where women ran the kitchens in the baby boomers generation, and are stll running them for their kids, are typical of this kind of attitudes towards "gringas" or anyone.
You get to an age, you marry and then you stay in the kitchen. Funny though how their mums are so important to them, and how different they treat their own younger women.
what happens when the daughters realise they are expected to take on the wooden spoon?
Maybe then there will be simply re-write the co of dependent to and 'in'.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

As much as I want to discredit Mr. Anonymous, he is dead on. I just started dating my first Chilean man and almost EVERYTHING you said was spot on. I do believe the "blonde" get their attention (I am one of those) yet it doesn't go beyond the sexual attraction. This is where we disagree my Aussie friend. Gringas are NOT dry nor boring. We simply do not hold to Latin sexism. We are strong, independent, self assured women, typically the antithesis of Latin women (not that I'm stereotyping). My boyfriend has rage like no other man I've ever met and its only been 7 weeks. I come home from tanning and he thinks the smell is from another man. He can yell, scream, curse, hurl insults at lightening speed if he feels his manhood, pride, or respect is at stake. A simple facial expression can start the furry. American men know better. So let me give a word to the wise to all you Chilean men. DON'T FUCK WITH US! We may be Gringas but we don't need relationships nor do we need codependency. We are raised better, more self assured, and let it be known you whip the proverbial "I'm the man hear me roar shit" and we will leave your sorry asses. The latin charm is skin deep and takes about 2 days to wear off and the chain and ball enter the scene. I'll take my wall street Gringo any day!

Anonymous said...

Chilean men are codependent and I'll tempered. They take the role of a male provider very seriously. They are lousy lovers and refer to all attractive and independent women as sluts!. They are also very racist, bcoz they think they are the best so everyone else in the world is s...t.
Chilean men are easily intimidated by women, who make more money than them. They are controlling and see this as natural. They expect you to be their mom, maid and prostitute. They live women who are sweet... They are cheaters and fear god.
Australian Chilean married to a chilean

Ian said...

The Chilean Australian guy's comments are really silly. You cannot generalize about American women, call them all "dry" and have any credibility. It is worth noting that Americans are among the most ethnically and culturally diverse people in the world that defy generalizations on the whole. Also, the American woman's response was equally lacking in intellect. While it is true that Chileans in general are more relationship oriented, and less individualistic than Americans, this does not make us co-dependent. I do think, however, that the actual blogs were quite spot on about their observations. As a Chilean living in New York City, I loved hearing the perspectives from ex-pat American women on Chile. The mere fact that anyone is ready to leave their own country for an entirely different culture speaks volumes about your initiative and adventurous spirit. This is definitely not "dry". I wish you the best of luck with your relationships and keep the posts about Chile and Chileans coming.

Anonymous said...

my job here is done :)