Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Breaking Point 1

So, when living in a foreign culture, your environment is, clearly, foreign. Your life is suddenly inundated by a mass of traditions, customs, behaviors, and lifestyles that you must evaluate carefully as you become aware of them. If you don't go through this evaluation process, one consequence is that you will have very little understanding of the experience you are living. The other is that you will never be able to hybridize your foreign self with your new foreign land so that both can lose the "foreign" tag and just become pleasantly different.

Part of this process is picking out the traits in both yourself and your new culture (and the interaction between the two) that you love and want to heighten and encourage. For myself, the first thing to come to mind is the affectionate aspect of the culture here. No, I don't ever see myself calling up a friend and telling her, "te quieeeeeeeero si muuuuucho! beeesooos!!" But I'm all about the kiss hello, the freer use of compliments, and just plain old letting people know that you care about them. I recognize that there's a very reserved aspect of my character that I am slowly abandoning. We gringos tend to be more open with new people than chilenos, but ironically we keep our close friends at more of a distance. Well, chau to that. I'm going sudamericana on this one if I can help it.

Another aspect of this evaluation process is figuring out the "agree-to-disagree" issues. One such example is the piropos as discussed in yesterday's post. Ok, piropos, if no one here minds you you can go about your business....I'm not going to try to convince people that this is a disaster if they don't see it that way. But when I become involved, I reserve my right to respond as I see fit, because it still violates my ideas of moral and respectful behaviour.

The third side of this evaluation, is picking out the things that you simply cannot introduce into your life. Essentially, you need to make rejections. It is all well and good to say that as an immigrant I should go out of my way to accomodate my new culture, and I would say that I and most other internationals worldwide do just that. But there are things that just cannot jive, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as the rejection is made in a respectful way. I have reached the point where I need to make the first of mine. I am stepping down from the chileno diet.

I have been living with a family (as mentioned below) for 6 months, and as part of my rent they feed me three meals a day (although I'm a 2-a-day ticket in general). The food is delicious, absolutely wonderful; the mother is a very talented cook. But this relationship, chilean food and I, well, it's just not working out.

I haven't fully experienced this before in my other foreign travels because no matter how long I lived away, I was still cooking my own food. I'd eat the local cuisine at restaurants and friends' houses, but the majority of my diet was an altered version of what I would eat at home. In my case, this means loads of vegetables and very little red meat or poultry. Plus, of course, the side benefits--I believe in a well-stocked spice cabinet. As a result, I would develop an opinion of the local diet, but never really had to make a decision about it.

Now that I have been totally immersed in a foreign diet, I feel a much greater understanding for my grandmother, who immigrated to the US from the North Sea. She never gave up cooking German food, which she still eats to this day. I thought this was stubborn. Now I see that there are some changes that are just too much to handle, and your internal environment is probably the first area where one might find these.

Consider one example of a meal in my Chilean life (not pictured: soup and bread on the side):



Meanwhile, I live in a country with plentiful, fresh, cheap produce:



For the first few months, going out and supplementing picture number one with picture number two managed to keep me pretty happy. Recently though, I've come to feel so unhealthy that I'm conscious of it pretty much all day long. It's not a cardiovascular thing--the hills here are enough to keep anyone in good shape. It's the extreme overload of calories, particularly given that those calories come in the form of a lot of meat and a lot of carbs. There are two main reactions I've noticed. At times, this diet makes me feel famished all of the time, because even with my vitamins I'm clearly lacking nutrients that I am used to. The second is that sometimes I never feel hungry, and every meal feels like it's following directly on the one I ate previously.

Last week my parents were visiting, and so I ate a lot of restaurant food and drank a lot of wine. I have found that this, on top of 6 months of not-my-kind-of-food, was the breaking point. For years I've played around with vegetarianism but never gone all the way with it. Well, I'm done. Good-bye carne and mountain of potatoes. At the moment I am fasting (family: don't freak out, I do this on occasion and it isn't dangerous) to allow my body to recuperate a bit from the inundation of calories. When I finish my fast at the end of this week, I'm going to cut red meat and poultry out of my diet. For the moment I'm going to hold on to fish, but we'll see.

So Chile and I have had our first real fight, but I'm confident that our new compromise will pull us through.

14 comments:

Rook said...

.....i might suggest that you consider delaying cutting out meat and poultry out of your diet until after the holidays on the 18th. Or at least plan on making an exception....best of luck...

Matt said...

A meal without meat isn't a meal, Meredith. You're already very pale and apparently attract attention because of it. Do you really want to become anaemic and faint every 3.7 seconds as well?

Because that's what will obviously happen.

I read it on the internet.

Anonymous said...

Meredith...Its usually not the meat thats bad for you. Note:the organic- naturally raised no hormones etc,etc. Do give up all the processed carbohydrates...any carbs that man has changed...white flour etc,etc...those are the culprits one needs to cut out of their diet. Do this and in less than 1 week you'll not only feel better but will also look healthier...ah ha...JMO
PS do eat all the veggies you can...very easy on potatoes and carrots and the likes.

Anonymous said...

Opps...I forgot to mention to stay away from processed sugars...junk foods...donuts etc, etc...you get the picture. That 10 pounds will drop ASAP. Not that you need to lose it. But if you do.

Meredith said...

Miguel: First. This post has nothing to do with the humorous post regarding my host family. I'm not trying to lose weight.

Second, I don't like this diet. I didn't say it was unhealthy for everyone, just for me.

Third, I didn't say anything about giving up carbohydrates, I said I was going to be a vegetarian.

Fourth, I know a lot about nutrition. (Matt! You can include yourself in this part of the rebuttal!)

--------
Rook: I honestly don't think I could eat red meat at even the best asado right now :) But if an exception strikes me I will certainly take it!

Allison Azersky said...

Meredith, I wish you the best of luck in achieving the dietary balance that will allow you to feel healthy and happy here in Chile.

I can't wait to cook up lots of carne de soya in our new kitchen!

Ignore the boys!!!

LOVE LOTS!!

Matt said...

Have you seen the translucent quality of Allie's skin?

That's what 12 years of vegetarianism does to you.

lydia said...

ha. good luck explaining that one to the host family. most of my "vegitarian dinners" include beef, ham, or chicken.

i giggle that someone recommends you stick away from donuts, which are pretty impossible to find here anyway. its just funny that staying away from the things we normally find unhealthy in the US is done by sticking away from junk foods, but here some of the most potentially healthy meals seem to morph into something quite unhealthy by the prep or added mayo or something

cavils in chile said...

i loved the juxtaposition of the two pictures. on the bright side, i think your host family might be happy to hear about your decision. chicken and meat are expensive.

Meredith said...

Allie--hells yeah

Matt--these days it isn't called "translucent," it's called "ethereal"

Lydia--so far the fam's been sweet, although they think i'm crazy of course. And you're right...there are no donuts in Chile. we discussed this in class when some students brought up the Simpsons.

Kacy--i'm such a cheap date now! you're so right!

Anonymous said...

Whooaa...was it all that? My apologies!

Yes...I can see you know a lot about nutrition.

Poofbegone said...

HI Merideth... I found your blog through Kyle's blog.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I had the same problem in Guatemala. For me the problem is that when I don't eat enough veggies I get constipated. Sorry to be so up close and personal here but it REALLY affects my life. I used to buy a bunch of tomatoes and avocados to supplement the carbs and meat that my Guatemalan host family served me. The thought I was a pig. They just didn't understand. I always thought it was strange to go to the markets and see soooo many fruits and veggies but who eats them?? Good luck going veggie! I made zapallo relleno (sp?) with carne de soya and it was pretty damn good.

Anyway, great blog!
Take care,
Kathleen

Meredith said...

Hi Kathleen,

It's definitely near impossible wih a host family. I'm looking forward to a new diet with a new kitchen! Now I'm excited to try zapallo relleno...

Matt said...

Wait...there are donuts here. They're just not round...Ahhh, the churro, a beautiful deep fried stick of donut batter of Argentine origin. Quite often filled in the middle with dulce de leche/manjar. Really tasty when dunked in either hot chocolate or a big cafe con leche. You can get them from the street vendors down in Plaza Sotomayor and there's a chain of shops in the malls here (Xurros i think it's called)...so good.