Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Feria des Libros Usados, I hardly knew ye

Every day on the way to work I used to walk through the "used book market"--a tent set up off of Plaza Anibal Pinto with tables and tables of used books for sale. I was hesitant....buying a book in Spanish is a major commitment for someone of my abilities. I will most likely be reading it for the next six months. Which one? Which one?

Perhaps if I had bought one I would speak enough Spanish to have known that the Feria wasn't permanent....as of yesterday, April 1st, it disappeared. Now it's an assorted souvenir and knick-knack tent, as most of the tents around the city are.

Hesitation leads to disaster!

5 comments:

Em said...

Hay. You lucky thing. Well written, though I wouldn't expect anything less. Your morning walk is far more pictureqse than my commute through the student ghetto, kicking solo cups out of the way.

Unknown said...

Sounds great - nice pictures, too! Parents love blogs! :-)

Mary said...

Did you see any Jodi Picoult?

Douchebaguette said...

Go for Neruda. It will help your vocabulary, and Neruda in Spanish is unparalleled, even in English. I've only found one book in English where the translation was even close. When you catch the spark of a whole sentence your universe will open just a bit more. :)
Also, I am headed down there in June for study abroad, it's nice to have some insight for what to expect. You're a lovely writer.

Erin in Utah

Meredith said...

Emily: thank you.

Mary: I'm sure the full collection of Jodi Picoult was hiding there somewhere, it's inevitable.

Erin: Thanks for the tip, I do have a book of Neruda in Spanish with English translations opposite...it's been a pretty big help!