Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A shameless bit of bragging

Today a girl told me I did a great class, that it was very fun and not boring.

In English!

To enliven this post with something a bit more of general interest, I have a cultural anecdote to share. A Chilean woman recently told a friend of mine that there are very few black people in Chile, but that there are more in Brazil......because it's too cold for them here. You know, because Africa is really hot. They just can't handle the climate.

I don't think there is anything that I can add to that to make it funnier, I'll just leave that for you to enjoy. At some point I'll post a more thoughtful bit on racial attitudes in Chile, but that's a good intro I think.

2 comments:

Rook said...

that is a good representation of Chilean attitudes which is rather sad because Chile outlawed slavery in 1823. Always the oddest thing how Chileans can be racist torwards black/asian peoples when they are such a mix between Indians and Europeans

Meredith said...

It is rather odd....I've found that most people are not racist when they are asked specifically about how they feel about race. However, whenever they're not consciously thinking about it, the strangest statements come out! It's usually so strange that I'm not even offended....just baffled.