Friday, June 27, 2008

Trapped!

Today is day three of oral quizzes. These are painful. Essentially I sit in a very small room for a very long time. I read the news for awhile. Eventually, a student decides that they probably ought to come for their quiz, since they were meant to perhaps half an hour earlier. Then I will have about 10 students waiting anxiously to come in. Someone sits across from me and looks at me with eyes similar to that of a person about to be hit by a car. I speak to them very, very slowly and ask boring questions. Sometimes things go well and they leave relieved. Sometimes I ask them what their favorite movie is and they tell me that they are good at soccer. Or they just say "soccer. yes." Or they say nothing and cover their face with their hands. It varies.

So. The students hate it. I hate it. Everyone is unhappy and sitting in a very small room.

It just so happens that today I had 8 hours of oral quizzes to give on a day that is normally my weekend, and of course it turned out stunningly sunny. One of those gorgeous "winter" days (if you're from New England, early fall). And I had to stay inside all day with unhappy people.

Further proof that the universe conspired against me:


Yes. All morning there was a marching band parade directly outside of my building. A parade! I felt like a little kid who has been forced to take a nap when all the other kids are outside playing.
But now I'm done and my goodness what a nice feeling that is.

3 comments:

Leumas said...

yeah Marilyn, i'm agree with you, i play soccer... LOL

This week all my classes, except one, has 3 students, nothing more.
And the next week, is only for "recuperative contest" i will get bored...

March Band: I listened the band and thought: "poor teacher who has to do classes next to that street..."

And i forgot that that teacher was you...

Poor friend...

i almost forgot: don't you have pololo?

hahaha

Well girl, don't worry, holidays are closer...

Greetins, Sam

Unknown said...

That's a hard way to work 8 hours. Pobrecita! The parade looks impressive.

If your weather now is like Fall here, sounds wonderful. My favorite time of year in New England.

Love,

Dad

Meredith said...

The temperature's the same, Dad, but no leaves :( There's no such thing as a New England autumn outside of New England!

But the weather is pretty lovely considering this is winter. I could do with some central heating but who's counting.