Thursday, July 24, 2008

Et tu, Brute?

Ok. So I plan on soon adding several interesting posts about various interesting things in the near future. In the meantime, however, a student who never comes to class has taken it upon himself to complain about me to my boss. This might seem to be breaking my "no-self-centered-rambling" rule....and it is, kind of....but there's also a cultural factor here.

People here don't like to be rude....it's a well-observed cultural trait (by outsiders and Chilenos alike) that they will avoid saying "no" at all costs, even if that entails making plans and then standing people up. By the same token, it seems that discussing my lesson plans with me would be rude, but going over my head and putting my job in jeapordy is not. This is the awkward logic of Chileno Etiquette. They are extremely concered with courtesy (I've heard older people complain that this is no longer the case, but I still find that people here are far more politeness-prone than at home). (Not that anyone has every accused Northeasterners of being overly polite). However, the etiquette system here often seems to be riddled with side effects.

Case in point: I have stated multiple times throughout this course that I welcome input from students. And I do, particularly in these small classes--it is impossible to know which types of lessons work best if you receive no feedback. No one, including my 'Brutus,' has taken me up on this. If he had (during one of his brief appearances), I could have altered my class to address his concerns and emphasize his particular needs. Instead, I now have to prove to my upset boss that I am a competent teacher and do not deserve to be sacked. I also have to teach my accuser tonight without mentioning the fact that I feel capable of saying some very unkind things just at this moment.

So I am only left to conclude that in Chile, offering constructive criticism is A Very Bad Thing. Wreaking havoc in the professional life of your teacher, however, is Par For The Course.

All his faults observed,
Set in a note-book, learn’d, and conn’d by rote.
(Shakespeare, Julius Caesar, IV.III.92)

There is no terror, Cassius, in your threats;
For I am armed so strong in honesty
That they pass by me as the idle wind,
Which I respect not. (IV.III.67)

Roman tragedy, English teaching, you know, similar stuff.

4 comments:

Real Chile said...

Chileans are polite? I don't think that is the case in the sense that the English language gives the word. However we are all entitled to our own opinions.
I think that non-confrontational (if you want to be positive) or passive-aggressive (if you want to be negative) might be better terms. However, I think we can all agree that the words Chilean and feedback don't belong in the same sentence.

Really great writing though! For me, your blog and Chile provoke the same emotions. Which means you represent it well.

Meredith said...

Thanks real chile....although I hope that doesn't mean my blog is frustrating or passive-aggressive (it might be, actually, I suppose blogging about frustrating events is the utmost in passive-agressive!)

And yes, I agree that "polite" is probably not the best word, but there is quite the "Etiquette." For instance, if a man offers me his seat on a bus and I say no....he still won't sit down again. Because that is Not What Is Done. So it happens that Chilean men and I frequently have standoffs about who is NOT going to sit in a bus seat.

Real Chile said...

So are you saying: to sit or not to sit, that is the question?

Anyway I think there is a lot of conformity and also a little bit of ethic. I don't think your blog is passive aggressive you just have your own way of portraying how things are before you analyze them or give your opinion and that first part is what recreates the emotions that Chile gives me, or something like that.

Meredith said...

To sit or not to sit....that is the ground on which the battle is met!

Gracias for absolving me of passive-agressiveness, and again for the compliment :) I've enjoyed your blog as well, pre-break!