Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thaaaaat's Chile.....

...............is just what you have to say sometimes. Explain and clarify in 500 words or less.

Both Valpo and Viña (and Santiago, for that matter) are full of street performers who jump out in front of stopped traffic at red lights. Usually, they look approximately like this:



At night, sometimes, they juggle fire. Unfortunately both you and I will have to live with the fact that my camera is not capable of taking a good picture of this, or at least so far has not proven itself able to.

Yesterday I was in a bus, riding back through Viña del Mar after making some reckless purchases at the mall (more on the mall another time). I was looking out the window and listening to a podcast from NPR's Here On Earth , which I highly recommend. Bits and pieces of everything. This week I've learned about the historical context of Edith Piaf and the history of Argentinian mate, for example. In any event, this particular podcast was on the subject of Rwanda. Specifically, an author was being interviewed about the rebirth of the country since the genocide. They discussed a number of interesting angles: the leadership role that women have taken, the use of traditional tribal law, the concerns about authoritarianism and human rights abuses, the economic growth, and what not.

As I am listening to this very interesting interview about Africa, I look out my window down Avenida San Martin, a busy street along the sea. What I saw I wish with all of my heart I had a photograph of, but unfortunately it was too late to jump off of the bus. There was a street performer. He had painted his entire body black-brown. He was wearing a grass skirt. He was waving a paddle of some sort. He was holding a spear in the other hand. He was jumping around and one can only imagine making some sort of savage-esque noises.

At noon. On a main avenue. For public entertainment.

Thaaaaaaaat's Chile!

2 comments:

Douchebaguette said...

I would really be put off if I pulled up to a light and someone started juggling fire right in front of my car (my camera can't capture the fire either). Or for that matter, throwing a cheerleader in the air. I have some good pictures of that, I should post it. Anyway, my stupid phone will only hold like ten numbers at a time so somehow during the course of the last couple weeks it has bumped your number out. Wonder if you've got plans for the 4th yet? A group of us is going out to Reñaca. Give me a text maybe, and if you could identify yourself it would be helpful... oy.

lydia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.