Friday, July 11, 2008

"Well I want to kill this waitress......(but I believe in peace, bitch)" (tori amos)

Well. I thought I'd come have a cup of tea and finally blog about the LGE protests that have been going on in the last month. Instead, as usual, Chile had other plans for me.

I walked into Cafe con Letras, which has wireless and is a bit of a gringo-haunt. I spend a lot of time here; I like it a lot, actually. So I came in, sat down, and ordered a tea.

I am not exactly sure what happened. The waitress started to hand me a menu and I told her I already knew what I wanted, and asked for a tea, please and thank you and all normal courtesies included.

She gave me a mean look. I was puzzled. Her friend, a guy siting at a table about oh, 6 feet from me, had been looking at me mockingly since I came in. When she sat down again at his table, he leaned in and they began talking very quietly and throwing glances in my direction. Seriously. Now, let's imagine I speak no Spanish at all. Do they think that not speaking Spanish also means that one can infer nothing from body language and, oh, pointing and laughing (nearly)?

So this proceeded for several minutes. I kept throwing meaningful glances back, sending brain waves: yes, hello, please stop talking about me.....they didn't pick up. Then the waitress got up and went around behind the counter, which I am sitting next to. She started talking to the other woman working. In essence:

"I am so sick of these gringos, they only speak English. They used to come only in the summer but now it's all the time, it's such a headache. They are so irritating! And that accent! It's like an infestation, these stupid gringas with their attitudes."

But extended. The other woman talked for a bit but then noticed me listening and said, "Quiet! The customer understands you!"

"No, she doesn't," said Favorite Waitress.

Then she went back to the table and talked about gringos some more with her other buddy.

Now, in the cafe at this moment there is only one other gringa; she is a sweet older woman who is smiling and polite and clearly at ease in Spanish. Then there's myself. A rough estimate of the entire exchange I had with this woman:

"Oh, that's ok, I don't need to look--I'd like to have an African Victoria tea, please. Thank you."

I would love to know what strange and terrible gringa vibe must be emanating from this woman and I without our knowledge.

So I stewed for awhile. Then I decided to deal a passive blow. I texted Allie that I was going to call her in Spanish. So I did. We discussed our plans. I used the past tense, future tense, etc. My accent didn't suck. The conversation lasted a few minutes.

The peanut gallery is veeeeeery quiet now. Take that.

So here's the thing: Gringo Guilt. We're filled with it. We are convinced that by being in other countries we are somehow a burden; that we have to shoulder the blame for every US American who ever spoke English to someone without asking them if that was alright, or said something obnoxious about "locals," or did one of the ten thousand annoying things that tourists can do. Just today I found myself apologizing to a Chilean about the fact that not enough North Americans try to speak Spanish.

Well, wait a minute. I try to speak Spanish--a lot. I observe local rules about politeness. I try to blend in, if not physically, at least in behavior. In short, I am a very nice immigrant. Just the fact that I'm here already excludes me from at least a dozen of the most common anti-norteamericano complaints. And when it comes down to it, there is absolutely no difference between this waitress and her generalizations and the people I've met in the US who go on about "lazy latinos." There are arrogant gringos who only speak English. There are lazy people who aren't from the US. But there are also plenty of arrogant Chilenos who only speak Spanish, and lazy norteamericanos.

So let's please. just. stop. it. I believe in peace, bitch, I believe in peace.

8 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

YES. I feel gringo guilt all the time. Just yesterday when I went to the doctor's office the lady talked to me for an hour about the U.S. and the people in the U.S., and whereas I normally would have excused myself with some other appt to run off to, I sat there and felt obligated to defend the U.S. and it's citizens and to also come off as the nicest gringa EVER so that this woman would stop her gringa hating.

Good post!

Douchebaguette said...

You PWNED that bitch! BAM!
Nice job. Passive-aggressive was the best road.

Matt said...

Talk to owner. Make complaint. Get racist waitress sacked. Feel happy.

I'm sure the owner would be interested to know that the staff is doing its best to drive away a large % of the cafe's business.

And gringo guilt? What's to feel guilty about? There will always be a small % of people with preconceived ideas stuck in their heads about you imperialist, capitalist peegs blah blah blah which are never going to change and which they are obsessed about ramming down your throat so just don't bother talking to them. Once you learn to ignore the idiots and walk away, life becomes a whole lot easier.

In Argentina I had the same kind of tedious question. Whereas Americans tend to get the Bush, imperialism bollocks thrown at them all the time, I often had to put up with the question:

"So when are you going to give the Falklands back, then?" (as if it were my personal decision to make).

At first I tried to talk about the topic, say it's all political and it's not something that should come between two normal people. This usually got me nowhere. So I changed my answer to:

"When you stop asking"

and then walked away. This was much more satisfying as it left the person stewing in their own bile, unable to expound on their tedious little theories.

Meredith said...

mamacita chilena: Thanks! And I agree with you absolutely--it is extremely difficult to both be on the defensive AND come off as absolutely sweet and wonderful. It gives me a headache every time I try.

erin: haha I think this is the first time in my life that anyone has ever told me "you owned that bitch." Thanks for making my passive agressiveness sound hardcore.

matt: to be fair, I was an innocent bystander in this case (and the other person mentioned is actually in one of my classes, so I was a captive audience there as well). However I do still try to engage these people, yes. This is a problem. Although there is a woman in New Zealand who no longer believes that Americans can be thrown in jail for speaking badly about Bush in public. So, hmm, 9 months in France, 6 months in NZ, 5 months in Chile....one success. So it would seem that if I stay in Chile for 3 years I might expect to have altered minor misconceptions in two Chilean heads.

I will, though, incorporate the phrase "tedious little theories" into my vocabulary.

And finally, I didn't get to tell Allie my story because you stole it off my blog and told her first!!! That is just unheard of!

Real Chile said...

Crazy. I personally haven’t encountered that kind of open hostility very much. Although I frequently hear and feel more subtle things. I used and still do critique the US a lot, sometimes with foreigners. But after almost 3 years in Chile I also criticize Chile a lot. I also haven’t ever had anyone get mad at me for not speaking Spanish but that’s probably because I speak it fairly well I do however get a lot of people who think it is their right to get free English classes from me and I also find that a lot of Chileans have no clue what to do,a nd some just get jealous, when I break their stereotype of Americans by getting better grades than all of them in Chilean history and for writing research papers in Spanish.

Overall though while there is some anti-american sentiment in Chile that seems to be out of the norm. If I was there I would have walked over to the waitress and said: “Si los gringos te cargan tanto porque eligiste trabajar en un local donde vienen muchos gringos?”. It is kind of weird that she chose to work where she did. Sorry I don’t have a Spanish keyboard right now to write tildes and question marks.

Meredith said...

Thanks for the comment "Real Chile." In this case I was speaking Spanish.....so I'm not really sure what ticked her off. Your comeback would have worked well....if I knew enough Spanish to have come up with it on my own :)

Pedro B. Coronel said...

Don't get so worked up. Chileans are innately hostile. In fact, from what you write, you are already learning to savor the confrontation and turn a slight into a personal victory (a very Chilean thing to do).

Take it from a Chilean-New Englander.

Meredith said...

Yo-- I'm dramatic, can't help it.

Chilean-New Englander! That's what I'm aspiring to, in a sense. Closer every day.