Thursday, July 17, 2008

Kitschy Music or.....Certain Death?

A week or two ago, this happened outside my house:

An organ grinder. It's difficult to see in this video, but he has a parrot instead of a monkey--a disappointing choice, but nonetheless. Organ grinders are kitschy, and fun, and I was very excited to have one conveniently outside my window. Hence the video.

While I was taking this little film, people started pointing up at me and taking pictures of me. You can see this in the video a little bit.....at one point I look up to show a more panoramic view, only to remember that my "view" is actually a collection of sea-blocking buildings, and when the camera goes back to the street you can see a few people starting to notice me. At the time I thought that this was because I was a crazy gringa hanging halfway out a window with a camera. This might be true. But a few of my students, who Facebook stalked me, had another interpretation.

I am going to die.

Apparently, they were very put out when they saw a picture of this scene in one of my photo albums online. Turns out that the Chilean traditional superstition is that when an organ grinder plays outside your house, someone inside is going to die very soon.

The girls told me that they think it's silly, and just a superstition, but nonetheless they always chase them away from their houses......just in case.

I pointed out that since I live in an apartment building, there's a pretty good distribution of potential death, given the number of inhabitants. I probably won't even know the unfortunate soul. That's a relief.

However, should a piano or a potted geranium fall on my head anytime soon, well, take the lesson and chase away any organ grinders that come hanging around your house.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Thanks for the tip...

lydia said...

oh dude when i lived there that same guy came by evvvvery weekend, playing the same song every time (which, fortunately, was one that gave me pleasant and nostalgic memories of watching I Love Lucy as a kid). he waited outside til someone finally gave him money. a couple of times the police had to chase him away.